After the holiday season I bought a big package of shatterproof ornaments on clearance. This is the first of them to succumb to my devious whims. During my journey down the rabbit hole of altered bottles, I also saw quite a few ornaments using similar techniques.
Lace and fake flowers seem to be popular along with a mix of found objects. I decided to not get too crazy and limited myself to some small flowers I partially dismantled, buttons, PVA glue mixed with spackle and tatting. I started with a layer of watered down glue and tissue paper and let that dry to get a nice base surface to work on. Throughout this project I used a banana holder to hang the ornament while drying.
I highly recommend TattedTreasures.com to get started if you have any interest. Also the Tatted Treasures channel on youtube. Very easy instruction to follow and I love the fact that she did a video for Lefties. It really hurt my brain trying to learn how to flip stitches left-handed while watching right-handed videos.
I attempted to modify a pattern into a design that would wrap around an ornament. Besides my alterations, which didn't really work, I was very distracted that day and made numerous mistakes. I was a little peeved with myself for dorking it up. But then I thought maybe it doesn't have to be perfect. So I glued it on an ornament anyway, covered up the mistakes with flowers and buttons and built up some areas with spackle-glue. I think it turned out alright and now I know what to do with my other tatted practice pieces.
I added some swirly texture with my fingers in the spackle-glue. I think I'll have to play with this technique more in the future.
It was hard to tell how it was going to turn out until I did a base coat. Before that it just looked like a big mess and I thought maybe I was wasting even more time on a doomed project. I painted half of it at a time because I was holding the other half, so I could really push the paint into all the nooks and crannies. There were a lot of little nooks and crannies. It took four tries before I couldn't see a speck of white no matter which I turned it.
Here's a few more shots of the finished project. My daughter said it would have looked pretty if I hadn't used such dark gloomy colors. I used a matte black for the base, sponged on gunmetal gray, then dry brushed on silver and added a touch of pearl white for accent. It is rather dark and gloomy, but dark and gloomy makes me happy.
I think the bottom looks like a cabbage.