Thursday, March 26, 2020

Coronavirus Flavored Easter Eggs

I'm still playing around with photoshop, inspired by the cloud of impending doom hanging overhead. If I seem flippant, I truly don't mean any disrespect.  Sarcasm and art are my coping mechanisms.  I also been watching "So bad, they're good" horror movies.  

Garden Party Massacre - It's utterly ridiculous, but in a fun way.

Killer Sofa - I admit this one isn't great, ok it's really hokey, but I love how sinister the recliner is. It's expressions are priceless, this deadpan menace that's kind of adorable, achieved with a couple of mere upholstery buttons.  Actually you can save a lot of time and just watch the trailer.  I really love the song during the end credits, that's worth a listen, You're Cold by Bernardo Rao.

Wacko - This is my favorite bad movie during the lockdown so far.  I can't believe I didn't see this on a rental VHS, like I saw most of my horror back in the day.  And I'm kind of glad I didn't, because I think I appreciated it more now than I would have then.  It came out in '82 and it's a spoof on the horror movies that came out prior.  So for an old fart like me it was a nostalgic laugh down memory lane.  Julia Duffy is wonderful.  I would watch it again just to see the delivery of her lines.  She carries that perfect level of seriousness that's needed to balance the absurd context around her. The running pervy dad joke is wrong, but it comes up so often you find yourself reciting along like an audience participation film.  

Back to our regularly scheduled program, I can't decide which version I like better Corona Egg in Angry Red or Puke Pastel and either with or without a framed border.  Here they all are for your viewing pleasure.





My interpretation of the coronavirus is actually a picture of a Sundew leaf, again from the wonderful pictures made available by the British Library. 

4 comments:

  1. I like the last on without the border. I think the egg really pops. I agree - humor is the only way to get through this without getting hopelessly depressed. I think we all need to laugh more but with social distancing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laughter is the best medicine. Well scientifically proven lifesaving pharmaceuticals are probably the best. And short of that, turmeric mixed with essential oils and laced with fish tank cleaner. But after that it’s laughter for sure.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. There were so many awful things about that movie, but that recliner deserves an Academy Award. Like the Anthony Perkins/Norman Bates of recliners. So creepy and insidious and yet you’re like, he’s kind of cute.

      Delete