Sunday, December 6, 2020

Creepmas Movies


Better Watch Out

I finally got around to watching "Better Watch Out" and it's ducking awesome.  It's a babysitter movie so the parents are only on screen for about half a second, but when the mom says,"Turn that sh*t off.", in reference to the Christmas music, I fell in love just a little bit.  

The horror/slasher genre has so many tropes that have been done to death, it's like brain candy when you find one that has some original or at least semi-original twists and turns.  If you don't know anything about this movie, keep it that way and just watch.  

"Better Watch Out" was a fun ride and the creepy Santa and elf decorations are just a bonus.  

 


NOS4A2  

What could be more Creepmassy than an immortal fiend that feeds off the souls of children he takes to a creation of his imagination called Christmasland?

Based on the novel by Joe Hill, which I have not read, this series checks all the right boxes for Creepmas.  The acting is great and Christmasland is horrifyingly cheerful, like a rotting corpse wrapped up in bright shiny bow.  

I would imagine it's just a tad intimidating to write horror when your dad is Stephen King, but I think Mr. Hill holds his own quite well.  



Doctor Sleep  

Speaking of King, I enjoyed both the book and the movie versions of The Shining even though they each have a different feel.   I feel the same about this sequel.   The movie is not a perfect adaptation of the book, but they rarely are, and it doesn’t mean it’s not entertaining.   Without giving too much away I personally liked visual homage to first movie that would not have been possible in the book.  

I'm almost hoping we get snowed in this winter, just to set the mood for a Shining double feature.



Unholy night

This an anthology with a wrap around story.  It's definitely not the greatest movie but I think it's worth it to watch it at least once. 

The lamest story of the bunch is about a guy meeting his girlfriend’s family for the holidays.  Who thinks doing shrooms when you're nervous about making a good first impression is a good idea?

The next story is about Drunk Dead Debbie, who is a Candyman/Mary Worth type figure.  Her last kill has to be one of the most original I've seen in a long time, as hilarious as it is disgusting.  

I've said it's not a great movie, it's probably not even a good movie, but it has it's moments.  One scene someone get's a Christmas tree thrown at them. It was so random, it made me giggle. 

There are definitely some good decorating ideas.  I want to make an intestine wreath and get an elf costume for my mannequin.  

2 comments:

  1. I need to watch Better Watch Out it has been on my list for far to long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had it my list for a while too, hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

      Delete