Saturday, November 16, 2013

Bailey’s Skull



You can find the original recipe for Boris O'Sanchez's Hand here. 
It’s basically a white Russian jello.  
 
I made a minor change, because the “vanilla flavored coffee creamer” scared me.  I hate vanilla flavored stuff that doesn’t taste anything like vanilla, and I wouldn’t have a clue as to who makes a good vanilla creamer.  So the following is based on a creamer recipe that showed up repeatedly on Google from multiple sources.
 
I had a skull mold instead of a hand, and the recipe only half filled it, but I kind of liked the way it turned out. My skull looks mottled because I let it cool a tad too long before stirring in the alcohol. 
 
 
Ingredients:

1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin powder
3/4 cup milk
3 oz sweetened condensed milk
3 oz half n half
½ tsp vanilla
1/3 cup vodka
1/3 cup Kahlua
1/3 cup Irish cream liqueur

Directions:

Makes 2 1/2 Cups

Prepare the mold by following instructions on the mold package and place in a bowl for stability.

Pour milk, sweetened condensed milk, half n half and vanilla into a small saucepan. Mix until the condensed milk is incorporated and sprinkle with gelatin. Whisk the mixture well, then let it sit for 3 minutes.

Place the pan over medium heat and bring to a simmer, whisking frequently to insure that gelatin dissolves.

Immediately remove the pan from the heat, pour contents into another bowl and let the mixture cool for about 20 minutes. Stir in the alcohol.

Stir well and pour into the prepared gelatin mold. Chill until firm -- at least 4 hours.

To unmold, dip the bottom of mold in a bowl filled with hot water, taking care to not let any water get into the mold. Dipping the mold for a few seconds helps to loosen the gelatin from the mold. Remove from water and dry off the bottom of the mold. Place a serving platter over the bottom of the mold and flip both over. Carefully remove the mold from the gelatin.

Update: First time around I didn't coat the mold with cooking spray.  Since then I've purchased some coconut oil cooking spray and it makes it so easy to pop the gelatin out, no dipping in hot water required. Coconut oil does solidify when it gets cold, if you look close you can see some flakes of it on the hand below.  Flaky skin doesn't bother me, but I thought I'd mention it.   

I've also taken to leaving out the vodka and just adding more Kahlua and Baileys.  I don't get vodka, I'd rather have a Kahlua and cream, than a White Russian.  For all I know vodka is the MSG of the alcohol world and that's why it's in so many mixed drinks and I'm just missing out on this incredible flavor enhancer, but I can live with that. I also think swapping out a couple tablespoons of alcohol with chocolate syrup might be fun for a Mudslide version. 

I picked up some Wilton zombie hand molds this year.  They looked awesome and are a nice serving size, rather than having to cut up a big mold.  The downside is each hand holds less than a tablespoon of liquid, so you'd need a lot of molds to do all hands.  I snagged a bunch on clearance after the holidays. 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment