Thursday, November 15, 2018

Squid Ink Label


I've mentioned before the British library being a rich source of vintage images.  I fell in love with this squid and thought the body itself creates a nice border.  I also slightly modified this picture and this one. I haven't actually used this label yet, but maybe you can find a use for it.

I am in no way fluent in Spanish, I can't even lay claim to being able to speak "broken" Español. If my life depended on it, I could ask where the bathroom was, or recite the alphabet. Despite my failings this label wanted to be in Spanish, so hopefully Google Translate didn't lead me astray.

I often hear the phrase "speaking broken English" used in a derogatory manner, but frankly I'm impressed with anyone who can do that. The English language has a complete disregard for following rules, I can't imagine learning it as a second language.  

The label is for Humboldt squid ink, based in part on this article and also these eco certifications.

There are lots of stories of how vicious they are, but maybe that's not true.  It wouldn't be the first time a misunderstood creature was labeled a monster. Other sources paint them as relatively docile inquisitive sea creatures, as long as you're not prey, being hostile or bothering them during feeding time.  I think that's reasonable.

I don't condone annoying the crap out of sea creatures, but this video does give you a nice idea of size, inking and their color changing abilities.  Some of the latter might be due to camera lighting, I'm no expect, but I believe most of it is the squids doing.


Here's a slightly different label for vertically challenged bottles.


This is the squid picture with all the extra bits from the original edited out.

I feel like I went a bit overboard with the fonts. Besides the Old English Text MT and Onyx that came with MS Office, here are the ones used:
Nymphette and Damask Dings1 by Nymphont

4 comments:

  1. Wow - super - I learned so much about a squid I never knew existed! Beautiful Label - I will help myself to that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I learned a lot myself. I never know what kind of internet adventure these ideas are going to take me on.

      Delete