Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Dark Elegance Upcycled Frame



It's funny, all I did was glue on a few plastic bits, add a smidge of lace and give it a paint job, but I feel accomplished with this project, unlike last time.


The skeleton hands were from a past neighbor, she was cleaning out her Halloween stuff and wanted to know if I could use them.   Of course I could.  And then I didn't, forever.  I get this mental block where I have to save things for the "right" project.  And of course no idea is ever perfect enough, so I have all these interesting items, neatly tucked away, being underutilized. Now you know my dirty little secret.  Well at least one of them.


I did temporarily use the hands as a sand fence in a fairy garden years ago.  Besides the hands, I also used two small plastic spiders and a few leftover bits of lace trim from my textured vases.

I gave everything a couple of coats of black gesso, and dry brushed on some Champagne Gold.  I've never been a fan of gold.  It's too yellow and I dislike yellow with it's sunny disposition. Give me a dreary gray or a moody mauve.  But Champagne Gold I'm utterly in love with, willing to look past it's rather festive name.  It's like a warm silver.

The picture of the darling little boy is from this awesome collection of altered photos by Kelloween.  I was torn between using that picture and this owl.  I can't find the original source for the owl, but I'm hoping by the way its strewn across the internet that it's public domain, just search for top hat owl.

2 comments:

  1. Love love love that - both pictures are adorable so I am finding it hard to decide too. I love your paint job - you have manage to make it all look like one cohesive piece. If I did it it would look like skeleton hands glued to a frame.

    One more thing - are you a vegan? I just took the plunge recently and am looking for resources.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I did get a little overzealous with the highlights and had to paint everything black again and start over, maybe that’s the trick to uniformity?

      As to your other question, vegetarian not vegan. I will say there are a lot of tasty Ethiopian and Indian dishes that could easily be vegan if you substituted oil for ghee and didn’t garnish with yogurt.

      Delete