Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Thrift Store Finds or Barely Crafting

I decided to take pictures of some of my thrift store finds from last years adventure as I was reorganizing after Halloween.  The first couple I barely did anything to enhance them, in fact it could be argued they would have looked just fine without my interference.  The latter two I left alone, not trusting myself to not muck them up merely for the sake of feeling I had to do something to them.  


I love this owl lantern, especially with the red tea light.  As you can see below it was fabulous all on its own before I came along.  It was nicely aged with dirt and rust, giving it a suitably eerie look.  I might have done it a disservice by cleaning it up, but I can't abide by having other people's dust and crud, preferring to start fresh and build up my own.  I painted on a faux patina with acrylics. I fear I might have made it a bit brighter and cheery looking.  Thankfully nothing can diminish it's evil scowl.  





Next are these metal candle holders ranging from 5 to 7 inches tall.  Nothing special, but these sort of things are always handy for displaying not only candles, but pumpkins, skulls or severed heads.  Again I could have left them as is, black is always stylish and they would have functioned just the same.  



Instead I added little skull danglies made from chain, which was procured during the aforementioned thrifting spree and some after Halloween clearance beads I've had forever.  I toned down the black with a few Gunmetal Gray highlights, to match the beads and chain.  



Seriously I scored all this chain for about $5. When it comes to making jewelry I like to know exactly what metals I'm dealing with, but for art projects it matters not. 

The following stand I didn't change one bit and maybe it looks a little too shiny and nice.  And that might have to change, but it looked nice with a severed head this fall. 

I have a cosmetology head from the days when my daughter was all about practicing fancy braids which was nothing short of frustrating on one of those stupid Barbie heads.  Later I came across this tutorial for turning it into one of the undead, but I can't bring myself to cut it up.  Instead I have a handful of simple masks, so she can change up her look from year to year.  It's the best of both worlds, princess by day, ghoul by night.  I rather like the pretty eyes behind the mask, it reminds me of Eyes Without A Face.






I haven't done a thing to this one either, but it calls to me.  I like it plain, in a merely supportive role, but the urge to add textures is strong.  I just don't want to overdo it and have it competing with whatever it's displaying.   




2 comments:

  1. Ooooh - dangling skulls and gunmetal gray highlights - I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think when it comes to adornments, skulls and chains are a girls best friend.

      Delete