Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Pandemic Flair


I made a couple of masks with stuff I had laying around so I can go grocery shopping in style.  My greatest fear, aside from people dying a horrible death isolated from their loved ones, is unwittingly spreading this thing.  No one wants to be a Typhoid Mary.

Speaking of pandemicing with flair, HuffPost has compiled a bunch street art that is worth a gander.

For the masks I used the instructions from Joanns.  I should know by now one size doesn't fit all.  I wear a size small gas mask, so I probably shouldn't be surprised these are a bit big on me.  I had to shortened the elastic a lot to snug them up.  If you have a smaller, or larger noggin this link provides measurements for small, medium and large.

I would try my hand at making a small mask, but I've exhausted my supply of sewing patience.  I've always wished I would like sewing, there's so many amazing things I could make, but it's not going to happen.  My three stages of sewing are 1) excited anticipation 2) frustration 3) for the love of all things unholy this will have to be good enough because I can't take it anymore.

I don't know if this will help other sewing illiterates but I didn't have fusible interfacing and substituted that with a cotton sheet.  Months earlier I had salvaged sections of a sheet with a tear in it, saving the cloth to later make mummy wrappings.  It's a good quality tight weave.   The first mask I used a 12x9 rectangle for both the cotton sheet and the cotton graveyard fabric.  Folded over that's four layers and really bulky.  The second one I used a 6x9 rectangle of the sheet in-between the folded layers of the graveyard material and that was much easier to work with.

I'm sorry some of the print is lost in the folds, because it's a lovely pattern.  My son picked this fabric out a long time ago when he made a drawstring bag in Home Ec class, which only old people still refer to as Home Ec.



In other Covid19 news, the Bicycle playing card company predicted the toilet paper crisis years ago.



3 comments:

  1. OMG - I love those masks. I wish you were not out of sewing patience as I would have you make me one and pay you for such. The playing cards are to funny. What a great find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could probably twist my arm. I’m sure I could make one more (or two if his Lordship likes to match). But I would only do it for free, and you’d have to maintain a distance of 6 feet, so noone could see the shoddy workmanship.

      Delete
    2. Well awesome - perhaps I could send you something in return with even shoddier workmanship made by myself. My email is kathydaboo@gmail.com if you would like to contact me. I am so excited to wear that mask to the store! No need to bother about his Lordship. He feels he has plenty of masks.

      Delete