Thursday, November 8, 2012

Juggling Eyeballs

I found this tutorial for Halloween Juggling Eyeballs and knew I had to include it in this year's craft party. 

As you can see our eyeballs aren't as detailed. I decided to go sans paint on the iris and I'm glad. I think the kids had more fun playing in the rice than anything and didn't miss the detailing. Leaving the paint out of this project meant being able to just sweep up the mess afterwords instead of finding clumps of spilled paint and rice stuck everywhere. 

The link provided in the tutorial for making rice juggling balls doesn't work, so I found this one.

I used a half cup rice with 12" round balloons.  It's very important to use a full half cup.  Any less and your balls will not be firm.  It's no fun playing with saggy balls and they won't look right either.

For this cute little skull I cut an extra hole for the other eye and a small triangle for the nose. If you had an orange balloon you could turn that into a Jack-O-Lantern. 

Note: I love asymmetry, but that wasn't what I was going for.  The smaller eye is where I cut the neck and stretch the balloon around the balloon.  I thought I had made the eye holes about the same size and even after fussing with the balloon to even them out, this is as good as it gets.  Next time I'll make the neck cut a little larger and my second eye a little smaller and see what happens. 

To my knowledge no one from the party has learned to juggle as a result of the rice balls they made, including myself, but here is a promising instructional video that I plan to try at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment