Thursday, December 10, 2020

Modern Creepmas Stories

As I said last year, I've become a real fan of listening to books while performing mindless tasks.  There are a lot of legit free sources online, many of which I have yet to take advantage of.  Mostly I use my public library, but I've also used The Project Gutenberg, that I've mentioned in previous posts.  The next three books I listened to the audio versions through my library.  


Krampus The Yule Lord by Brom 

The story seemed a bit long and drawn out at times. This might be because it was the audio version.  The narrator did a great job getting into character, but the dramatic pauses drew things out and at times spotlighted some corny dialogue which I probably would’ve breezed right past had I read it on my own.  I swear there were some lines that were pulled straight from Country songs. 

Still, I enjoyed it and I think any Creepmas enthusiasts would.   The author did a good job pulling together Norse, Pagan and Christian mythos and there’s a nice afterwards that any Creepmas fan shouldn’t skip.  


The Winter Ghosts by Kate Mosse

Modern author, but set in the past, this is one of those haunting ghost stories that leaves you feeling a little melancholy.  It's slow and sweet and tragic. 


NOS4A2 by Joe Hill

I know only a few days ago I said I'd hadn't read this.  Well technically I still haven't read it, just listened to it.  I put a hold on it through the online public library so long ago that I had forgotten all about it.  So Merry Creepmas to me, it finally came available!  And because I'm old and senile it was a total surprise!  There's defiantly some differences between this and the TV series, but both are equally as enjoyable.  And having already watched the series did not detract from my enjoyment of the novel at all.  


Horror Stories Ruin Christmas 

A Bewitching Guide To Halloween posted about this one last Creepmas. Being set in a fictional town in Wisconsin I had to check it out.  The story counts down thirteen days until Christmas, one story for each day and one story for each night, with a different NoSleep author writing each.  

It's a little bit disjointed, which is to be expected considering the format, and it's a little bit bizarre, but entertaining nonetheless.  It's available for purchase on Amazon or you can read it on reddit.  



There's a follow up story, Horror Holidays Return Serenity Falls.  It follows the same format and gets even more bizarre.  It's also available on reddit.  I wouldn't say either story is great, but this one was even less so.  

I feel like I've done an insane amount of Creepmas reading this year. 



No comments:

Post a Comment