Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Peppermint Maggots

First I would like to thank whatever dark gods are responsible for me getting maggot molds.  Secondly I would like to send my condolences to anyone who doesn't have these wonderful molds.  

I really am surprised with how quickly they sold out, that they haven't been reissued.  For what it's worth they were sold at Michaels as part of their "Celebrate It" line two years ago.  There are caterpillar molds being sold on Etsy by zhiqiangdiy and CraftsMouldsStore but I have not purchased these and I have no experience with these sellers or their products.  

Not that they have to be maggot molds, any candy mold will work, it's just such a fun shape.  Which is why I've used them for frozen treats, baked treats and other candy concoctions.  

I used a recipe for peppermint patties found on joyofbaking.com.  Joy of Baking is one of my favorite recipe sites.  All the recipes have been tested and I have yet to have one fail unless it was a mistake on my part.  

This recipe scared me a little, the main ingredient is powdered sugar with a little bit of butter, evaporated milk and flavoring.  It didn't seem that appetizing, but Joy of Baking hasn't let me down yet.  I would say these had a much stronger flavor than a York Peppermint Patty, but I liked it.  All I know is there's nothing quite like getting a bunch of texts from friends about how tasty your maggots are.  

I purchased the peppermint oil at Michaels and followed the recipe for the filling.  If you are using molds instead of hand dipping them, the filling doesn't have to chill as long.  I dabbed a little dark chocolate at one end of each maggot because I've seen pictures of some that look like that.  I think that might be the butt end. After that hardened I used white chocolate to coat the molds.  After the white chocolate set I pressed about 2 teaspoons into each mold and then covered them with dark chocolate and sprinkled on some crushed candy canes.  

My favorite candy canes are Bob's, which fall under Brach's now? I don't know when that happened, but Brach's has always been my favorite peppermint hard candies.  Bob's Sweet Stripes still fall under the Ferrara company, which are large soft mints that my family absolutely loves.   

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks. Luckily they're easy to make because I just got a request to make another batch.

      Delete