Friday, December 9, 2016

Creepmas Zombie Lantern


I saw these fairy lanterns and had to try it for myself. Not totally stoked with how it turned out, but I see the potential and will definitely be making more. I'd like to make one with a Krampus silhouette also. 

My first mistake was grabbing a crumpled piece of tissue paper from my papier mache stash.  I usually like the look of wrinkle tissue paper, now I can see where a new sheet would've looked better. 

Then I used big chunky flakes of glitter. It didn't look as cool as I thought it would. After it dried, I brushed off as much as I could and redid it with a medium sized glitter. That was better, but I think next time I will use fine glitter.

The zombie silhouette I used is from FreeGrunge.  I printed out the size I wanted, taped it to a cereal box and cut it out.  I used a glue dot to attach it to the inside of the jar so if I ever want to swap it out for something else, it'll be easy to pull off. The berries and fake greenery are from my very limited supply of "normal" Christmas stuff. 

I used a mini strand of purple skull LEDs, mostly because I was too lazy to dig out the battery tea lights.  The skulls are pretty bright and gave off plenty of light. I can see why the instructions say you need at least two tea lights. 

Update: I purchased some red flickering tea lights from 100candles.com for a different project, but thought I would see what one would look like in the zombie jar. I don't know if other colors throw off the same amount of light, but one tea light definitely does the trick here. 




This is what it looks like in natural light.


I made some evergreen style trees out of tissue paper to see if I could add a little depth.  They look more tree like in person. Instead of trees, I think a couple more zombies smaller and farther back might look nice too. 


To make the trees I just kept folding a piece of tissue paper in halves until it was about the width I wanted and then I folded over a little edge on one side and stapled it.  I cut the tissue at a diagonal for a rough tree shape and then made little snips at an angle. 


I think it looks kind of cute.  I could see using this on a 3D card, maybe using black tissue paper. 

3 comments:

  1. Some nice ideas there...might give the lights a go for next year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some nice ideas there...might give the lights a go for next year! :)

    ReplyDelete