Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Ornament Creepmas Makeover


I gave a few ornaments a makeover.  I really should spend some time learning how to properly photograph, but I haven't, so you'll just have to take my word that they look better in person.

Here is how they started out:

Each ornament contained the same image on both sides, the front side having more decorative elements.  The ornament on the left shows the back side and the ornament on the right is the front.

This is how the back of the right one ended up:


The surface of the frame on this side was completely flat.  I mixed paint with black pepper to add texture to the inner oval and the black areas between the "C" shaped elements.  The only reason I used black pepper is because I'm lazy and I was close to the pantry. But pepper does have a nice chunkiness to it, that I think I'll probably use again in the future.  


For this one I added herbs and then a little pepper to get the texture I wanted for the inner oval on the backside.






















This one was almost perfect before I touched it.  I doubt if the original artist meant to make a tentacle bow, but that's what I see.



This one I actually prefer the less blingy side.  I think the pearl-like ring compliments the tentacles better.  On the blingy side I didn't like the gaps between the bling and filled them in with textured paint.  In hindsight I should've done a better job, but it is what it is.  



At least I've rid them all of whatever bright cheeriness they might've held.  Now they can feel perfectly at home on the Creepmas tree.  

2 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful. Who would have thought black pepper could be so effective? You are just so creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chalk one up for be lazy. The pepper has an interesting, almost blocky texture.

      Delete