Friday, December 20, 2019

Rare Siberian Long Necked Yeti


Welcome to Creepmas Day 12 5/8, because no I'm not done yet.  Let me introduce you to my little friend.

Although sightings are rare, the Siberian Long Necked Yeti is most notable of course, for it's long neck.  It is also easily distinguished from other species of Yeti by the silky tresses that cover it's large round feet. Another interesting trait of this Yeti is the absence of arms, but that is generally considered an advantage for these cave dwelling creatures.

As I've said before it's too hard to do tutorials about needle felting.  For one I don't generally know where I'm going until after I've done it and for another the urge to repeatedly stab is too strong to stop and take pictures. I love this cross stitch pattern, the sentiment is the same for needle felting.


I did however happen to take two pictures during the felting process so I could consult experts to ensure I was being anatomically correct.  The first being whether or not my proportions were accurate for the average Siberian Long Neck Yeti and the second on whether or not I was making the feet excessively hairy or the correct amount. Apparently all that fur is necessary to protect their rather tender, delicate feet.

The first picture was taken at the Crucible.  Have I mentioned how awesome it is that we have a local bar that hosts Dark Arts & Crafts every Sunday afternoon?


This video by Sarafina Fiber Art on how to needle felt a gnome gives some excellent advice on using curly locks starting at the 24:00 minute mark.  It also gives some excellent advice on making a gnome.

For my Yeti's very hairy ahem, feet, I cut my locks in half.  And then I folded those in half before felting them onto his feet.  I used the coarser locks underneath and saved what she calls the pretty locks for the top rows.



Because of climate change and loss of habitat over the last decade there has been an influx in sightings, especially in urban settings.  




The inspiration was this Yeti I found on pinterest.

2 comments:

  1. Tee hee - What a fine yeti! Something else springs to mind as I look at him however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you, he is a fine specimen if I do say so myself. However, any resemblance to other ahem, things is purely coincidental and I can not be held liable for the suggestive imaginations of others.

      Delete