Sunday, September 2, 2018

Attack of the Killer Textures



I'm still at it, more tiny texture samples. The craft party is in five weeks, so I'm going to try out as many different things ahead of time as possible.  My only hope is at the end of all this I make the most awesome mixed media altered potion bottles or at least inspire someone else to.  

Top left: drywall tape, top right: tea leaves (this a repeat, but it's my new favorite texture), bottom left: sequins applied with texture paste, bottom right: texture paste over masking tape.



It was Maremis Small Art that inspired me to try drywall tape.  A cool thing about drywall tape, you can cut it into strips so it looks like tiny stitches.  Not being one to waste things the sample on the right is all leftover pieces.  



This painting technique was my inspiration for using masking tape.  I randomly placed torn strips of masking tape and then covered it with texture paste.  Lift the masking tape right away and you are left with a raised design. It was a little difficult removing the tape because I had it overlapping every which way so I had to pull the whole thing up together without disturbing the texture paste.  For something larger or more intricate it might've been a problem.  I would recommend laying down the tape in some sort of order and removing it in reverse.  


The texture under the masking tape is toilet paper.  



Last is the sequins and texture paste.  I just smooshed a bunch of texture paste on some cheap sequins and then press a few sequins on top.  It wasn't until after they were painted that I realized sequins look a bit like tentacle suckers.  



Instead of painting these all black I left some whitespace and then sprayed them with the only two colors of ink I have.  After they were dry and kind of "meh" I decided to go over them with the watered down acrylics I was using on the last textures.  The ink reacted with acrylics and turned out kind of cool, but I expect these will be revamped a few more times before they find their purpose in life.  

2 comments:

  1. Wow they look like oxidize copper in places. You get some great paint effects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to brag, but they look better in person. I like slapping colors together and seeing what happens. The worse that can happen is you wind up with a mess and have to paint over it and start again.

      Delete