Saturday, September 15, 2018

Wicked String Tree


This started out as another experiment in textures and grew into its own thing.  It's not unlike my wire tree, just more untwisting, than twisting involved.

True story: I once made a life sized wire tree, if by life sized I mean very small sapling.  Later it acquired the nickname Jingle Bell Tree. The bare wire tips were some times hard to see depending on the light, not to mention pokey, so I added a jingle bell to each tip so that it couldn't sneak up on unsuspecting victims. I loved that tree, but it was a menace.

It survived many years and two moves, but as a new mom I chucked it one day, because even with the bells it was still a menace and it took up a lot of space.  To this day I regret doing that even though I have no idea where we could have safely kept it.

I'm sure it would've eventually drawn blood and once these things develop a taste for human flesh there's no going back. But think how lovely it would have been to have a jingle bell tree with blood lust tromping through the neighborhood for Creepmas.



At least this tree wont poke anyone's eye out.  I didn't take many pictures of the process because it's hard to take pictures when your hands are covered in goop.  This ended up being a great way to use some of the little pieces of twine from when my spool was butchered in sacrifice for the Pomegranate Princess.

The process is easy, grab a bunch of pieces of twine, yarn, rope, anything that is comprised of twisted strands.  They can vary in length. If you're sifting through Pomegranate Princess carnage you don't have a choice. Just make sure some of them are longer than you'll think you need.

Gather them together side by side and apply a thick mixture of texture paste to what will be the base of your tree trunk.  Stack the twine together so they form a rounded trunk.  Divide them into smaller groups as you branch out applying paste as needed.  Once you are down to single pieces of twine I recommend stopping to let things dry.  And also so you can go wash your hands.  

With clean hands untwist the individual strands on each end of twine.  My twine was comprised of three strands, so some branches are two twisted strands that break off into single strands.  Add more paste as needed to keep things in place, but leave the tips of the branches free.  Go wash your hands... again and let it all dry.  

Add a bit of glue to each branch tip twist the strands so the ends are tight. This is the messiest part.  Every couple of branch tips I was peeling glue coated in twine fibers off my fingertips.  Some of the shorter tips I twisted and then pushed into place.  The longer ends I wasn't sure where I wanted them trimmed so I added glue to the whole length and then cut them at an angle after they dried. 

Wire trees are much less messy and don't stick to your hands, but I do like the bark-like texture of the twine and paste. I also like that the texture runs vertically up the trunk whereas with wire the twists are less organic looking. Not that I don't appreciate a good wire tree. I love that they look like they spun up from the ground in the vortex of a tornado.

It was only after I painted it that I decided it needed an owl.  Lucky for me I have an owl charm the right size and I've been playing at making my own molds.



I really liked the molded components that I added to my skull.  I have jewelry pieces that I think would work well with mixed media, but I don't want to only be able to use them once and I still have actual plans to use them in jewelry.  Enter silicone molding material to the rescue. I'm using Easy Mold Putty.  It's really easy to use, but I'm still figuring out how make a better mold and what mixture works best filling them.  Above is the original charm and a spackle mixture which ended up with a lot of air bubbles.  


This is the mold, above it is a painted piece I made using hot glue to fill the mold. These molds can  be used with just about anything, polymer clay, resin or even chocolate.  Although if you are going to use them for food they should never be used with non-food substances.  



I used the spackle owl for my tree, cutting it out with an x-acto knife.



I wish I would have thought of adding it sooner because it was hard trying not to muck up the existing paint job (which looks much better in person), but otherwise I think he looks right at home.

3 comments:

  1. That is a good looking tree with a good looking owl. What a neat idea for old bits of twine. Do you have a recommendation for a product that makes larger molds? I am thinking 6 inches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EasyMold also has a silicone paste and a silicone liquid. Both can be brushed on objects, building up thin layers or the latter can also be poured in a mold form around an object. I haven’t used either of them, but they have some nice videos:
      https://www.eti-usa.com/video-library
      I like this video too, more tips and tricks
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7pLDc6O0iA

      I just picked up some Amazing Remelt. It looks like jello. Incredibly firm, weird smelling, really expensive jello (definitely break out the craft coupons for any of these products) It heats up in the microwave and if you don’t like your mold you can reheat and reuse. I don’t have an opinion on it yet, I’ve only made one mold so far. It’s easy to use, but it is heat sensitive, so most resins and hot glue won’t work in it.

      This video show three different products, including the Remelt. The yellow putty in the video is the same thing as EasyMold putty, the biggest drawback to putty is you only have 3 minutes of before it starts to cure.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UoEOdtPR6c&t=299s
      I'm sure there are tons of products out there, but these are the ones I see at the major chain craft stores.
      I know there are also diy's on using silicone caulk to make molds, but I haven't looked into that yet.

      Delete