Monday, September 10, 2018

Skull Beads & Other Textures



Still playing around with texture, but this time it's nothing new,
 just a mix of things I've already tried.


The base is a large countertop sample 5x3.5 inches. I used a combination of thinner texture paste I made with black acrylic, glue and spackle and a thicker version of white latex and spackle.  

On top of a thin layer of texture paste I laid some practice tatting pieces. 

I said I was going to find other uses for those skull pony beads and I have. Honestly I wish I would have added a few more to this piece. I split them in half and pressed them into a layer of texture paste.  

The pony beads are really easy to split.  I set them on a hard surface and force the tip of my pliers down through the hole. I know that's tantamount to tool abuse, but I used a very old pair of needle nose that have teeth so they're not good for delicate work anyway. The pieces will go flying so I should caution you to wear safety glasses.  I kept my free hand cupped over the beads, but even still sometimes those suckers got away.  

I added some tea leaves mixed with paint to a few areas, I just love that texture.  Then I added a few faux pearls, flowers and painted it. 



This a small piece 2.5 x 1.75 inches.  Here are more skull beads, the corners are molded pieces and then center is finishing nails caged by small sections of staples.  Everything was squished into a layer of thick texture paste.  

2 comments:

  1. The skulls look great in there. Glad you did not lose an eye splitting the pony beads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.

      Delete